Oct 3, 2014

Bracing the Blue Line by Lindsay Paige ~ Review



Bracing the Blue Line

Neil, Grant, and Winston are college hockey players and roommates in vastly different relationships that intertwine three stories into one.

Captain Neil Lawson wants to run for the hills when a one night stand shows up on his doorstep, pregnant with his baby. His past haunts him before fueling him into being a part of this girl and this baby’s lives, but it won’t be that easy.

Goalie Grant Faison is a curious guy who starts doing small favors for the sports photographer of the college paper. There’s something more going on with the girl who has three overprotective brothers, but for once, Grant can’t ask questions. He has to wait for her to tell him on her own.

Defenseman Winston Brooks secretly dated his best friend’s younger sister in high school. Now that she’s attending his university, they try being friends. Their love never died and soon, it reignites. Winston has to keep history from repeating itself before he loses his girl once and for all. She’s not the same girl she used to be though.

The guys must battle their issues, both past and present, while falling in love along the way.



At First Sight
Anyone that knows me even a little knows I love hockey!  So, of course you can probably guess that this cover is one I wouldn't mind hanging on my future reading room wall in poster form!  It fits the book so well and I absolutely love it!

Characters and Relationships
Bracing the Blue Line is written from 3 different male points of view, all telling the story of their own different relationship but at the same time telling one big story.  It is in a word, genius!

Neil was a character I wasn't sure I was going to like at first.  I thought he was pretty much a jerk.  It was interesting to watch as his story unfolded with Audra and how his past, became a part of what he decided he wanted for the future.  He turned out to be someone that I not only liked, but someone I respected.  I was amazed by his transformation and loved the way he wormed his way into my heart.  

I wasn't sure what I expected to happen between Winston and Maddie for quite a while into the book.  I really liked the two of them together and as their history together was told and the story unfolded, I wasn't quite sure if they were going to make it as a couple.  A lot of decisions had to be made and their story really goes to show sometimes you have to go after who you want and what is best for you regardless of what someone else may think.

I had to save Grant for last in this section.  He was my favorite of the three guys (although I love them all) Grant and Lucy getting together always seemed like a work in progress.  Lucy had so much mystery surrounding her and I wasn't sure for the longest time what it was that held her back so much from just jumping in with Grant.  I guess part of my thinking may have been "This guy is awesome...go for it!" but it isn't always that easy.  I loved how patient and compassionate Grant was, and to be honest, I think I liked him best because he reminded me the most of my own husband and how he is with me.

Is This A Kissing Book?
Yes this is a kissing book!  This one is definitely an 18 and up.  That being said, I found it a little less steamy from some of Lindsay's other books, but not in a bad way.  It was a great balance of romance for the different stories.

Don't Leave Me Hanging
This book is a stand alone.  There was no cliff hanger, but, if Lindsay wanted to explore some of the other side characters I wouldn't be a bit disappointed.

The Best Gems
  • HOCKEY!
  • Movie Night
  • Over Bearing Brothers
  • Indoor Campout
  • Camera Clicks
  • Library
  • Good Surprises

The Sum Up
I adored watching this book unfold and seeing how the different relationships all interconnected through the lives of the others.  Lindsay Paige is an author I have just discovered in the last few months and in reading several of her books in that time, from her first to her most recent, in Breaking the Blue Line, I can see her development as an author.  All of her books have been a delight, but I can truly say that Breaking the Blue Line is her best so far and my favorite by a long shot!  






No comments:

Post a Comment