Apr 1, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday ~ Gateway Books/Authors on My Reading Journey

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly event hosted by 

This weeks topic: Top Ten Gateway Books/Authors on My Reading Journey

You will see by my list I do have specific authors that kept me reading through the years even if I wasn't always an avid reader like I am now. That is why I included their series.


Books I read a million times as a child

Eric Carle
I LOVED Eric Carle as a child.  He was a favorite of mine and I remember my mom reading them to me over and over.  I still have my original copy of Brown Bear. 





















Books and Authors that kept me reading even slightly through the years

Nicholas Sparks
These 2 books were the first ones of his I read.  It was LONG before they made the movies.









Harry Potter
I started reading Harry Potter when the 5th book came out.  I needed something to give a 1st grader that was reading way above level so we read these together at the same time.



Richard Paul Evans 
I feel like I have been talking a lot about him on the blog lately.  He has been a go to author for me for years.  I never missed getting his books and I have loved every single one of them.


Book series that got me to read again and turned me into a forever reader.








Indie Authors that inspired me to eventually start this blog
The first independently published authors I found were Nyrae Dawn and Tiffany King. They both have signed with publishing houses now for some of their books, but these are a couple of my favorite books of theirs that I first read and I would recommend them to anyone.  Helping indie authors that I loved was a big reason I started blogging and I'm so grateful I did it!






ENCORE
Because I love "Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See" so much, I actually made a quilt out of fabric from the book.  This quilt is special to me because my mom and I made it together on one of her last visits to my house before she passed away.  I treasure it so much because it was my favorite book thanks to her and the last project we did together.






That's my Top Ten this week!  Let me know what your gateway books are and leave me your links so I can visit you as well!


18 comments:

  1. Nicholas Sparks, Twilight, and Harry Potter made my list too :)

    Great minds think alike!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I didn't see that one coming! Ha ha! <3

      Delete
  2. Great list! I'm glad to see you included your childhood books on there too. Glad we both have Twilight on our lists :) Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still love children's books. They are so great! Thanks for stopping over! Have a great day!

      Kristalyn

      Delete
  3. Dang, I forgot Nicholas Sparks! I was obsessed with his books. TWILIGHT *swoon* LOL

    Check out my TTT.

    Leydy @OUaT & RCE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I love Nicholas Sparks. He really did keep me reading at least a little bit.....until I found Twilight *sigh* lol

      Kristalyn

      Delete
  4. What an awesome quilt you and your mother made. And I'm sorry for your loss. :(

    ~Pam @ Moonlight Reader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I loved quilting with her so much. We all miss her a lot. Thanks for stopping by today!

      Kristalyn

      Delete
  5. OMG! GREAT LIST! I definitely think if I didn't take such a long ass break from reading (8 years) I would of read the H Potter and Twilight books. Oh yea, for sure! And even though I'm 31 yrs old I still want to read them and the Fablehaven series! I will one day!!!
    I read Eric Carle to my daughter's almost every day and we watch the movie they on Netflix!! I even drew the whole Hunger Caterpillar story, in sidewalk chalk, in front of our house! I wish I could show you a picture!
    Love your taste in books!! Thanks for sharing Kristalyn!!!!
    P.S. LOVE THE QUILT!!! xoxox
    Michelle ~ Book Hangovers Blabs Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Michelle! I want to see the pic! Send it to my email! I would LOVE IT! I love Eric Carle so much! You need to read fablehaven since it isn't a movie and you don't know anything about it. They are so dang good! I'm always so glad when you stop by! Thanks!

      Kristalyn <3

      Delete
  6. I love Nicholas Sparks books! But I haven't read Twilight, Harry Potter, Or the Vampire Academy series yet :-(
    Thanks for stopping by my TTT!

    Em @ http://theyabookbutterfly.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh you are totally missing out on Vampire Academy! It is so amazing! Thanks so much for stopping by today!

      Kristalyn

      Delete
  7. Ahhh Harry Potter! Love love love them :) I also LOVE Eric Carle - when I taught Kindergarten and Preschool I did a unit with his books every year - so much fun to read aloud with them and study. Great list - thanks for stopping by mine :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You caught me just as I was doing replies! That is so cool you did an Eric Carle unit! I love his books so very much! Thanks for stopping over!

      Kristalyn

      Delete
  8. Great list, loved Eric Carle when I was a kid too! The art is so amazing in those books. I've been meaning to read Tiger's Curse but haven't gotten to it yet, it sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Harry Potter made my list too, it's my favourite series of all time and the ultimate gateway book for me. I'm hoping to start the VA series soon, so I am happy that one made it onto your list. Great list, thanks for stopping by my TTT :)

    ReplyDelete